Totem Pole Art

The Aboriginal Memorial

In Grade 3 and 4 Art we’ve had a look at an Indigenous artwork known as the Aboriginal Memorial. Have a look at the picture above to see the installation; does it make you curious to know more?

We have had heaps of great wonderings from this image:

“I wonder why it looks like an Aboriginal Rain stick? Are we going to make our own and put them around the school?” – Cooper, 3F

“It looks like water pipes, are they cardboard, or pipes? What would happen if water spills on it? What would happen to them? It reminds me of a didgeridoo. I wonder why there is different designs because I notice that the sides have similarities and differences. Is it indoor?” – Mustafa, 3F

“Did you take the photo or is it off the internet? Is it bamboo? Who designed it? Who was the first indigenous person to die?” – Solomon, 3F

“Where is it? Why are there little holes? Where are they? Why are some thick and some skinny? Can you touch them? Where does the path go?” Ramin, 3F

“Did we do this on Better Buddies Day? I wonder why some of them are tall and some of them are short, and why there are rocks?” – Solomon, 3F

“Why are some of the patterns cut out? What was the date it was made?” –Shivya, 3F

“Is it a path?” –Zeynep, 3F

“I wonder they are different shapes and sizes?” – Maeesha

“I wonder why all of them are different and have different looks and why did they make it?” – Peter, 3F

“I wonder why they are inside?” – Taylor, 3F

“What happens when they get wet?” – Jessica, 3F

“I wonder how big they are.” – Simrat, 3F

“Who was fighting?” – Kovidh, 3F

The more we asked, the more we wanted to know! We are still finding out more about the image each time we go to Art, and we are creating our own!

Please enjoy some of our work so far and look out for the finished pieces in the next few weeks.

You can find more information about the Memorial here: https://nga.gov.au/AboriginalMemorial/home.cfm

2 thoughts on “Totem Pole Art”

1. 3F you worked so hard to make these things it looked like I was going to faint and 3F is the best from 1G.