There was a lot of fun (and chaos) last Friday as we constructed our inventions for CBL. The inventions are based on problems we had either experienced or had seen other people experiencing.
We had to think about who would be helped by our invention and then we needed to research the different parts we would need to make the invention work. A design was drawn of our idea, with the diagram needing to be drawn to scale. For this we needed rulers and our maths books to make sure we knew how big each part of our creation would need to be.
Once we knew the sizes of everything, we could start measuring, cutting and adhering our materials. After this, we added colour by gluing on paper or painting our inventions.
The final thing we needed to do was compose a text about our invention to put with our model at the Invention Convention. We knew we would need to write a non-fiction text and decided the most suitable ones would be information reports, expositions, descriptions and explanations. In reading, we sat with people who were doing the same text type as us and looked at an exemplar to make sure we knew what structural and language features we would need to include. The information we found out was shared with the class.
Our writing was then drafted, peer-edited and published on our iPads.
It was then just a matter planning how our classroom would be set up, moving desks and then came the hardest part of all…making sure our room was clean!